For your safety and maximum enjoyment of our classes, it is important to fully read the information provided here before the start of your class. We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.
- All participants should have sufficient upper body strength to pull oneself out of a swimming pool unassisted.
This is the equivalent minimum physical ability required to safely participate in our classes.
- For all of our on-water classes, participants must be able to swim 50 yards unassisted and tread water for 5 minutes.
- The majority of our classes are for new or beginning students however each class description lists prior skills that may be required.
- Students with concerns about their physical ability or needing special accommodations should speak with our staff before registering for a class.
What to Expect
“Hope for the best, but plan for the worst” is a good mantra to use when attending outdoor classes. While our beautiful summers are what keep Bellingham residents around, we have our fair share of bad weather and the water is always cold (about 50F year round). For all of our on-the-water classes you should plan as if you might get wet. We provide all the basic safety equipment and gear needed for your program, but you need to provide your own outdoor suitable clothing, personal gear, food, and rain gear. If you do not have all of the equipment, let us know and we will help you find it. We have wetsuits and paddle jackets, but you are welcome to bring your own.
Participants should always arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of class to fill out final paperwork, gear-up, and get started on time.
How to Prepare
- We recommend avoiding cotton clothing
- Wool, poly-pro, or other synthetic fabrics work best for our class settings.
- You should bring all the clothes, medications, snacks, water, and items needed to keep your body functioning well and your mind happy.
- Clothing can be either worn or brought with you in your day bag, and we also have dry bags available for use during class.
- Layers are the key to dressing comfortably. Choosing multiple lighter layers to adjust to the temperature work better than one or two heavy layers.
- Outdoor recreation does not always have to be pricey, and thrift-stores are great places to find second hand fleeces, running tights, hats, etc.
Unless otherwise noted, all of our classes run at The Community Boating Center (555 Harris Avenue, Bellingham, WA 98225 – map here). The Boating Center is located immediately next to the public boat launch in Fairhaven. Parking can be found next to the railroad tracks in front of the Boating Center, or along Harris Avenue if no other spaces are available. Please do not park in the Port of Bellingham’s trailer parking lot, as this requires a paid launch permit.
Course fees allow us to commit our staff and equipment resources to your programs. We understand that life, the weather, and outdoor recreation can be unpredictable, and while we make every effort to see our programs run successfully, sometimes things get in the way. If The Community Boating Center cancels a program for any reason, we will work to find an alternative date or program that may fit your needs, or we can offer a full refund.
If you cancel your booking, we can refund course fees based on the timeline outlined below:
- If more than three weeks before the start of camp/class: 90% of the fee is refundable or transferable;
- If between one and three weeks before the start of camp/class: 50% of the fee is refundable or transferable;
- The CBC is unable to offer refunds for cancellations submitted less than one week (five business days) before the start of camp/class.
Rental fees allow us to commit our staff and equipment resources to getting you on the water. We understand that life, the weather, and outdoor recreation can be unpredictable, and while we make every effort to see our programs run successfully, sometimes things get in the way. If The Community Boating Center cancels a reservation for any reason, we will work to find an alternative date or time that may fit your schedule, or offer a full refund.
If you cancel your reservation, we refund rental fees based on the timeline outlined below:
- If more than 48 hours before the reservation: 100% of the fee is refundable or transferable;
- If between 48 – 24 hours before the reservation: a 50% of the fee is refundable or transferable;
- The CBC is unable to offer refunds for cancellations submitted less than one day (24 hours) before the start of your reservation.
***Re-booking your class/program is considered a cancellation and will follow the same cancellation policy outlined above.***