Sailboat Rentals Require Skills Tests!
There are three ways to get checked out to sail a CBC boat:
- Successful completion of our Introduction to Dinghy or Keelboat sailing class.
- Successful completion of our Dinghy or Keelboat Refresher sailing class.
- An on-the-water sailing checkout with our staff:
- Each on-water exam is $29 and lasts 45-60 minutes.
- Separate check-outs may be required for sailing dinghies and keelboats.
- Sailors will be checked off to either single hand or sail with crew.
- Sailors will be checked off to sail in our green or yellow wind statuses.
Prior to renting any dinghy or keelboat, you must be vetted by an instructor. There are no exceptions to this, we want to introduce you to our boats and venue in a way that will ensure you are set up for success! Independent sailing on Bellingham Bay has its challenges and our boats have no motors; they must be sailed to and from the mooring or dock. Often the wind is shifty in the harbor and it can be crowded.
Checkouts are specific to the type of boat (dinghy or keelboat). All dinghy checkouts require the successful demonstration of a capsize and recovery its best to do this with a friend or family member who you plan to sail with in the future so you both have practice with and instructor watching. Wet suits are provided.
To schedule a sailing checkout, please fill out the form below!
*Skills tests are scheduled by our instructors or volunteers directly, during our busiest times of the year it may take a few days or even weeks to get this done. You may consider taking one of our refresher classes, you can be certified to use the sailboats at the discretion of the instructor. *
Prior to renting, please review our Rental Policy and participant agreement here.