Volunteering is a great way to promote safe access to Bellingham Bay and create opportunities to learn, socialize, and recreate. We are always looking for volunteers, especially folks who can commit to longer-term tasks. Below are some of the areas we actively need volunteers. If you have relevant skills but don’t see them listed, contact us and let’s see what we can do!
It takes a village, earn free access to our boats by helping us out!
- Earn free boat rentals with your hours!
- Volunteers track their hours using a personal time log
- Earned rentals can be transferred to friends, family or to be used by one of our partner organizations
Where Volunteers are Needed:
- Our greatest ongoing need is for volunteers who are willing to commit to 4-hour waterfront operations shifts. Waterfront volunteers help prepare rentals, greet customers, answer the phone, and work on a variety of projects when it’s slow. Feel free to bring a laptop or book as well and just hang out! Waterfront volunteers receive ‘on the job’ training, and it’s a great way to learn the basic of our operations if you plan on volunteering in other areas.
- High Priority:
- Assistance with marketing and outreach of programs & classes.
- Boat and Fiberglass Repair (Kayaks and Sailboats)
- Tabling & Outreach (Farmer’s Markets, Community Events, etc)
- Assistant instructors & guides for youth camps, evening paddles, and introductory kayaking courses.
- Ongoing Projects & Needs:
- General Carpentry/Construction Projects
- Board & Committee Members
- Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Volunteer Sailing Instructors/Assistants
- Volunteer Kayak Instructors/Assistants
- Volunteer Youth Camps Instructors/Assistants
- Fleet Management
- Scrubbing / Cleaning Boats
- Fiberglass Repair
- Wood Stitch-and-Glue Boat Repair
- Sewing & Sail Repair
- Service Learning
- Eagle Scout Projects
To learn more about volunteering at the Community Boating Center contact our Volunteer Coordinator.